Imagine what the city’s top news item today would be. No prize for guessing right though because the brouhaha over vehicle pollution has been all over us for quite some time.
What makes the occasion memorable is that this is the first time in the state in a long, long time that the rule of law that seeks to improve the plight of millions will prevail over the rule of muscle power that hitherto helped only a few thousands.
There are many more miles to trudge with pain and suffering before Kolkata’s quality of life can be said to be decent enough to enable people dream for a more decent future.
Meanwhile, here are a few of many similar headlines that marked August 1, 2009 to be remembered as a red-letter day in the history of Kolkata.
- Protests in Kolkata as old buses ordered off roads
- Controversy brews over 2-stroke auto LPG conversion
- Ban on old vehicles takes effect in West Bengal
- Older than 15 years vehicles phased out from Kolkata – A video
- State transport buses torched as Govt. cracks down on old vehicles in Kolkata
- Kolkata commuters suffer as vehicle ban is implemented